In the late 1800′s, farmers and fishermen occupied the coastal region of Horry County known as Ward’s Fisher, later called Crescent Beach. Since the soil was very sandy, farming was not profitable; however, this area was profitable for fishing. Early one October evening in 1888 a group of devout fishermen had fished long hours without success. They decided to hold a prayer meeting and built a brush arbor for the service. As they prayed, a great commotion was heard. They ran to the beach and saw fish everywhere. So many fish were hauled in that it took two days to clean and salt them down. The men continued to hold meetings and on October 20, 1888 a council organized the prayer meetings into a church. Articles of faith and a church covenant were read and adopted. The church was named Mt. Ararat Baptist Church and eleven charter members were received.